What are the causes of component failure? General Procedures for Failure Analysis
Date：2022-11-15 16:25:47 Views：110
Generally speaking, it is inevitable that errors occur in the development and production of chips. Failure analysis is a technical and management activity to judge the failure mode of the product, find out the failure mechanism and reason of the product, and put forward countermeasures to prevent re failure. With the continuous improvement of people's requirements for product quality and reliability, failure analysis is becoming more and more important. The development of society is a process of finding and solving problems. Problems are not terrible, but frequent occurrence of the same type of problems is very terrible.
Basic concepts of failure analysis
1. Failure analysis often requires electrical measurement and advanced physical, metallurgical and chemical analysis methods.
2. The purpose of failure analysis is to determine the failure mode and failure mechanism, propose corrective measures, and prevent the recurrence of such failure mode and failure mechanism.
3. Failure mode refers to the observed failure phenomena and forms, such as open circuit, short circuit, parameter drift, functional failure, etc.
4. Failure mechanism refers to the physical and chemical process of failure, such as fatigue, corrosion and overstress.
Failure causes of components
The so-called failure causes of components refer to the direct factors leading to failure, including problems in design, manufacturing, use and management. The failure causes of components can be roughly divided into the failure of components themselves and the failure caused by improper use of components.
General procedure of component failure analysis
Due to the small number of failure samples, which are generally obtained after long-term tests or use, and contain important information, and the failure analysis process is destructive and irrecoverable, failure analysis should be conducted according to certain procedures to prevent loss of evidence or introduction of new failure mechanisms in the failure analysis process.
The general procedure for failure analysis is
1. Collect failure site data;
2. Electrical measurement and determination of failure mode;
3. Non destructive analysis
4. Open the package;
5. Microscopic examination;
6. Power on excitation chip;
7. Failure location;
8. Perform physical and chemical analysis on the failure part;
9. Make comprehensive analysis, determine the cause of failure and propose corrective measures.
Failure analysis can evaluate the effectiveness of different test vectors, provide necessary supplements for production testing, and provide necessary information basis for verification testing process optimization. It is very important to improve product quality and ensure the reliability of electronic components. For component users, it is not only necessary to provide relevant information, data and failure samples of failed components, but also to protect the analysis samples, master certain failure analysis knowledge (such as understanding the general procedures of failure analysis, etc.). Finally, it is necessary to practice, verify and use the analysis results, and use the analysis results to improve the work, so as to improve the reliability of the electronic system.
The above is related to the component failure analysis compiled by the wound core detection team. I hope it will be helpful to you. Our company has a team of professional engineers and industry elites, and has built three standardized laboratories with an area of more than 1800 square meters, which can undertake a variety of test projects such as electronic component test verification, IC authenticity identification, product design material selection, failure analysis, functional testing, factory incoming material inspection and tape weaving.